To run and be an efficient library one needs to have a broad background in a few disciplines.
Business:
- One must understand the business world in order to run a library at a profitable level.
- How to search for new funding and to write proposals for funding.
- In order to have a computer system installed, one must understand the SDLC (Systems Development Life Cycle). You have to have knowledge about what kind of system you want to install, so that you can work with others to build your system. Then see that it is tested and implemented within your library. After this comes the training of staff and anyone else who will use the system. Finally, if at some point upgrades are no longer an option, you start the cycle all over again in a proactive way.
Technology:
- The above business process can not be obtain efficiently without a knowledge of the trends in the marketplace, both in technology and what the customer is expecting to have at their finger tips.
- One must have knowledge of the current vocabulary in use in order to teach others. I must say that I'm a bit behind in this area. I had no idea what fleshmet or moblogs, for example, were until I read the report by OCLC.
- Continuing education seems a must as I read the first three articles this week. To keep abreast of the happenings in new technology and business models is something I must remeber. For it I don't one will be lost when trying to figure out how to establish a blot and obtain an article such as the one written by Vaughan.
No comments:
Post a Comment