When reading about the different operating systems for next our next class, a few things struck me as I read. Each system talked about how easy and user friendly they were. Windows and Mac’s stated that they provide user support during times of transition in software products. I have always used a window base program so I feel very comfortable with it; tried a Mac once and everything felt foreign to me. It all boils to do is experience, your future work environment or preference.
After reading the article on UNIX I had the feeling that this could be the answer to current and future software communication problems. If I understood right, this is an operating system that allows interface communication with different types of software programs. The one thing in the article that caught my eye is that it is a free download, no costs before or after acquiring the Open Source package.
When I think about storing information on a computer for preservation of documents, the drawback I find is that, at some point that information will have to be converted or it will be lost because the program changes. Is it correct to say that UNIX or Linux could solve this program problem because the basic computer language never changes allowing access to older program past the support date?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree that users usually prefer the system they have experience with. I too tried to use a MAC and found it too confusing. Instead of concentrating on the work I was trying to do I was trying to figure out the system.
I am a creature of habit like most people and use the Windows system I am use to.
Linux was certainly portrayed to be the solution to all past and future computer issues but I remain skeptical.
To your point about Linux solving the information preservation problem, I think there are three different things we need to consider here. First there is the hardware and the storage media, second there is the operating system which gives life to the machines and third there is the software and applications that allow to collect and withdraw information. Of course applications may be designed specifically for one operating system or another and Linux is the common ground for all. In the end, I believe the information will not be lost as it is preserved on the hardware, and even if we lose track of any operating system or application that created that information, it is just a matter of re-creating the codes which allow deciphering it. The same way we try to decipher ancient language codes. Of course, this might not be an easy task for the average user - in this case yes, some information content my be lost, but again, neither Linux is designed for the average user.
It also sounds like many Linux users have issues with sharing information. If this is true, this could definitely cause a loss of information in the future, as those who are instrumental in the foundation and maintenance of the system fail to record their discoveries and findings in a format that lends itself to the average joe. The idea of intellectual property might come into play here. Once these people pass away, fewer and fewer replacements may be available in the future to decode the jargon specific to Linux. The incalculable brain knowledge of the Linux programmers could be lost. Basically, I think there will always be an issue with storing information, regardless of the systems used to store it.
Post a Comment